Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 8 - Brigham City to Evanston, WY


Day 8 was one of the prettiest days so far. We managed to get away from 10 mile long straight roads, sage brush and scrub and headed back into the hills and pine forests.

We started off by skirting the edge of the Great Salt Lake to go down towards Ogden and then headed east up one of the canyons. As soon as we took that turn, the wind slapped us in the face and I had visions of us having to ride 80+ miles into a force 10 gale. Lady luck shined on us as once into the canyon, the wind dissipated. Although the road was narrow, and the sign said bikers probably shouldn't be on the road, it was amazing beautiful. On one side, a river flowed past us, and on the other, we could see waterfalls. After climbing up through the canyon, we were in what looked like an Alpine meadow. Pine trees, poppies, wild flowers oh and... a big reservoir on the other side. The down side was that it felt like every car that passed us was an SUV towing a boat or ATV's. I guess not everyone in Utah goes to church on Sunday morning.

The next little climb was the 20 mile trip up over the Wasatch mountains where the pass was at 9000 feet. I was starting to feel all the efforts I've made over the last week and it felt like I was beginning to overheat. Lunch was at the top, home made mac n' cheese and sandwiches. The descent down the other side was both scenic and fast. The pine trees of the climb gave wave to red rocks. I wasn't brave enough to snap any photos at 45mph though.

After the super fast descent we only had 20 miles to go to get to Evanston. This is where my tiredness, lack of sleep and overheating caused me to poop out. I ended up sitting at the back of our merry little band; Ann, Jeanine, Brian and Dan and they dragged me home. The scenery was gorgeous and apparently some people saw some antelope. All I know is that I was ready to be done.

Photo taken at the state line - check.
In the hotel, showered and laundered - check.
Beer in hand - check.
Mexican food at the local hole in the wall joint - coming soon.

Photos are here.

Tomorrow is the mother lode stage of our little tour. Almost 150 miles with more climbing than I want to even think about as we head back into Utah. I just need to get through tomorrow and then we have the easy 50 mile day on Tuesday into Colorado. I'm hoping that a couple of coronas and super burrito combined with an early night to bed will help get me through tomorrow. Well, that and the diaper rash cream I'm about to apply too.

3 comments:

  1. Well it's about time you started to feel all the efforts! Sounds like tomorrow will be a killer but Tuesday will be here before you know it. Enjoy your mondo burrito and cervesas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Doug, reading all your reports really inspired us so we (Tiff, Rachelle, Monica and myself) decided to take off after you. Unfortunately we got hungry at the Dalles and stopped at Cousins. After 3 courses and a few drinks it was too late to continue so we turned back. Then we discovered how we got there so easily - we had a 100 mile an hour tail wind. After contemplating riding into the gale (for about 10 seconds) we called a taxi to take us home.
    As we all agreed it was your fault we were stranded in the Dalles we are sending you the tab for the cab (but which state do we send it to???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica, send the bill to Conway please.. :)

    ReplyDelete