Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 3 - Pendleton to Baker City


It seems like everyone has finally got into vacation and touring mode. Breakfast was more leisurely than usual and no one was in a rush to leave. Must be something to do with the oatmeal and blueberries.

We rode through the Blue Mountains on the old emigrant trail and managed to stay off of I-84.. The route followed the old Oregon Trail. Despite climbing 2500 feet in the first 20 miles, everyone was all mellow and in fine form. We even had time to ride up a gravel hill off the course to take some pictures of a scenic viewpoint.

Our group had it's first accident today. One lady fell while removing her arm warmers on a descent and is now on her way home to California with a broken pelvis. Get well soon Lisa.

The puncture counting crew will be glad to hear that I got my first flat today.

Apart from the downer of knowing that a new friend was leaving, today was a good day to get into the groove. I'd heard that if you get through the first five days, you can get through the whole tour. I should be fine as long as I keep a steady supply of Chamois Buttr.

The other big highlight today was the way I "crushed" everyone for the 45th parallel sign. Oh yeah baby, it was all mine. I saw a few upset sprinters banging their bars in disappointment but they knew the best rider won. :)

It's weird being back in Baker City and not being here for the Elkhorn stage race. I rode a slow lap of the crit course. Very slow indeed as I got stuck at a traffic light. Tonight, I'm playing the role of Julie the cruise ship entertainment hostess as I'm rounding up the troops to go to Barley Browns brewpub.

Tomorrow we hit the first two big milestones of the trip. 1). Changing timezone and 2). Crossing into Idaho.

I'm feeling very excited and energetic at the moment about the tour. I do promise to keep blogging when I am run down and feeling like a$$ though.

Pictures are on my flickr a/c. Time for dinner and a celebratory beer or two.

I forgot to add that I saw my first Conway truck about 5 miles outside of Baker City...

1 comment:

  1. Go The Dougster! YAY! First to the 45th circle of latitude! Time for a celebratory barley brown indeed. Slainte!

    ReplyDelete