Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 25 - Kosciusko to Livingston, AL


Another day of rain in the morning. Another new state, Alabama, and one more flat tire. That makes 4 now.

You could tell we were moving away from the Mississippi river as the roads today were constantly rolling as opposed to the flatness of the last two days.

The last couple of days have been pretty similar. With the rain, I've been trying to rush through the day to get to the hotel. At the same time, I don't want this trip to end. Obviously I can't quite reconcile the two things.

Despite having to get up early in the morning, ride in the rain or heat or humidity, I am getting sadder about the tour winding down. We have built a good camaraderie between the riders and the crew. There are only 20 riders and 10 support crew. We eat breakfast together, ride parts of the day with each other and then eat dinner together. Over the last 25 days I've had the chance to ride (or drink beer or eat dinner) with everyone. It's been great to hear all the different life stories, the different reasons for doing this tour and to get to know everyone. I think I have made some good friends that will be in my life for a long time.

It's going to be tough to roll back into 'normal' life again. The current norm says it's normal to eat your oatmeal in a hotel parking lot just after sunrise. It's also normal to wash your bike clothes in the shower at the same time as you clean yourself. Going to bed at 9pm is normal. I never thought I'd see myself doing that. It's normal to ride 100 miles and not sure where you are or where you are going. It's also normal to drink a beer as soon as you get off your bike for the day.

Pictures are here

Forecast is for more rain tomorrow. Can I swap some of Portland's 100+ degree weather for some of the South's rain please?

3 comments:

  1. It said 106 on my dashboard as I drove home from work this evening at 5.30pm. I think I like this heat better than torrential rain too, at least if I had to spend 8hrs in it on a saddle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 106 degree heat is a killer especially while riding uphill on a bike, makes you wish for torrential rain. :) One good thing - riding right up to the main jet of the Salmon St. fountain in Waterfront Park and getting drenched with cool water sprayed by the kids trying to sit on the stream. Glad you're having such a great epic ride cross-country! - John

    ReplyDelete