Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 4 - Baker City to Caldwell, ID


Maybe I shouldn't be tempting fate but I'm feeling really strong both mentally and physically at the moment. I'm also relaxing and getting into vacation mode too. I was the last person to leave base camp this morning and had caught most of the folks by lunchtime.

We spent most of the day on the Oregon Trail again. There were two brief sections on I-84 as we had no alternative. It actually turned out to be the smoothest piece of tarmac on the whole trip so far. One whole side of the freeway was closed to cars while ODOT was laying new tarmac. We got to ride on the smooth surface before any car had been on it. As I came up to one paceline of our tour group, I noticed that Susan (the older lady on the recumbent) was leading the charge. It looked just like the pied piper of Hamlin leading the kids down I-84 to Idaho.

Today we crossed over into Idaho. And approximately 12 seconds later, I got my second flat tire of the trip. One per state might turn out to be pretty expensive.

I did manage to find an old CF trailer by the side of the road. How appropriate I was wearing my Conway jersey. Pictures are here

One of the best things about having reached Idaho is that now i more inclined to tell people I meet that we are heading to Georgia. It felt a bit lame to say that when I was still in the same state I started with. I was chatting to an old ranch hand earlier on today. I told him about the bike tour while he reminisced about the Korean war. He was seriously chatty and I bet I could still have been there if I hadn't said I needed to head off.

Tomorrow is our first day of less than 100 miles. 99 to be exact. I'm tempted to ride round the parking lot at the end but...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're settling into the "relaxed" 100+ miles a day, you crazy Scot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete