Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 11 - Rangely to Glenwood Springs


Sitting here in Glenwood Springs and it finally feels like I'm on vacation. We rode the 125 miles to here by about 3:30pm. After, showering and laundering, that gave us time to go wander round town. Walked over to the fancy Hotel Colorado (that we aren't staying at) and then had a look at the hot springs swimming pool. Then there was time to do some shopping in the cool local bike shop. Not as cool as Cyclepath of course. Later on tonight, we are having an ice cream social. Oh yeah, life is good.

Today started off with another not so prevailing wind as we battled our way eastward and then south. I was promised tailwinds and they haven't been delivered yet. Oh well..

Highlights of the day included the 50 mile valley we rode along towards lunch. The downside was that Halliburton has some kind of plant in the valley so we had to deal with about 1 million trucks driving by. The upside was that the drivers were exceptionally courteous and every time a truck passed us, we got a slight draft that eased the headwinds..

We passed through a couple of interesting towns. Rifle and Silt for example. I took a picture of the Rifle Fire Department building.

Riding through Rifle we also saw a highly ingenious kid you had managed to strap some kind of engine to his mountain bike. He coasted along sounding like he was riding a lawnmower. Awesome.

More motorized innovation. We got to see a couple of cowboys round up their cows. The only difference to the good ole days was that they were riding ATV's. Seems kind of lazy if you ask me eh?

When I posted last night, I said we were crossing the continental divide today. I got it wrong. It's actually tomorrow. We head through Aspen where the rich and famous live and then head up the 12000 feet that is called Independence Pass. I'm bringing my crampons and climbing rope just in case.

Ok, signing off to go get my sundae.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of the van. The logistics of this trip fascinate me. Tell us more about the people running it - the driver, the owner, the cook...
    How come you didn't go swimming at the hotel colorado hot springs? It looks great but crowded. Was that a slide in the bottom left?
    What flavour of sundae did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about I tell you all about it over lunch when I get back to Portland Toni?

    The sundae was chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Yum

    ReplyDelete