Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 19 - Purcell to McAlester


It seems like the longer his tour goes on, the harder it is to get out bed. I've asked around and everyone is feeling the same. It's not that I don't want to ride, it's just that I like my bed. Once I'm out of bed and have some coffee in my blood, everything is great.

Talking about great. Today was one of the best riding days so far. Smooth road surface, rolling countryside, friendly car drivers, (relatively) moderate temperatures and riding with good friends. I spent most of today smiling as I rode along. For a while, I was riding on my own and got to listen to some music on my ipod. Very surreal listening to Belle and Sebastian while riding across the southern edge of Oklahoma.

It feels like we are already in the South now. There are a lot more "Jesus Saves" type billboards. The road kill has changed from deer to armadillo. The cicadas were chirping all day. At times, I felt like I must be in the jungle. Even when we rode by hay bales, I half expected to see parrots instead of cows because of all the chirping.

We finished up our 112 mile too early to go to the hotel so it was time for some a/c and a shake at McDonalds. Luckily I spied a Conway tractor with a 53 foot trailer. Unfortunately I missed the perfect photo opportunity by not having my Conway jersey on. Next time...

I have to admit that I'm not too impressed with McAlester. The downtown part looked pretty cool but the rest of the town isn't that great. I just looked on wikipedia and the town is famous for the army ammunition plant and the Oklahoma State Penitentiary. Hmmm. I also had my worst meal of the trip here. Oh well, no need to dwell on the bad stuff.

The people here are really friendly. When I was paying for my crappiest meal of the trip, the man behind me asked if I was part of the bike tour passing through. When I said yes, he shook my hand and asked lots of questions. I even got called 'sir' for the first time since I lived in Tallahassee.

Photos are here

We have been banned from buying more beer for the beer cooler in the van. Not because we're not allowed any beer. It's actually because there is too much. The cooler won't close now. The Bank of Beer is no longer accepting any more deposits until the withdrawals can catch up. Good times.

Tomorrow we ride on the Talimena Parkway. It's supposed to be the toughest 50 miles of the whole tour. There are several climbs of > 13%. This should be interesting.

Oh and since my mum will probably read this in the morning. "Happy Birthday Mum".

1 comment:

  1. I want to know more about the worst meal. Wish I was there to help make a beer withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete