Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 17 - Shamrock to Weatherford, OK


Whoever said that we would have a prevailing wind all the way to the east coast was obviously spinning a little yarn as today was another day of headwind.

Not that we let this put a dampener on the day. Today was a 105 mile ride along route 66 into central Oklahoma. Apart from the wind, the only slight donwner today was that we didn't get an Oklahoma sign at the state border. No opportunity for me to raise my bike over my head again.

Route 66 plays a large part in American culture. We got to ride along it for practically all of today. Some sections weren't open to cars, others were chipsealed over and others were now the frontage road for I-40. We also got to go to not one but two Route 66 museums. In fact, the museum opportunities today were abundant. I did pass up the chance to go to the National Shortgrass museum, the National Heartland museum and the National Farm and Ranch museum. yeah, yeah, I know I missed out but, there are only so many hours in the day...

One thing we have noticed is that people seem a bit friendlier in Oklahoma than in Texas. On maybe a dozen instances today, we had truckers honk and give us a friendly wave. Nobody tried to run us of the road or shout at us. OK is OK with me. Todays pictures are here

We head south east tomorrow. Hopefully the wind doesn't change again to be in our faces.

I'm excited about tomorrow as I get to see my friend Maureen. Pactour doesn't know what they are in for.

1 comment: