Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 7 - Burley to Brigham City, UT


Sorry but after 290 miles in the last two days, my creative juices aren't flowing well tonight.

After yesterday's tough day, I was a bit worried about today as it was 10 miles longer (148 miles) and more climbing (4500 feet) than yesterday. Instead of a full on headwind, we 'only' had a cross wind. I decided that today was the day to see what I had inside of me. I went into time trial mode and rode the course harder and with more focus than yesterday. In the end, the support car only passed Ann and I with 10 miles before the finish. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake as we had to wait 40 minutes to get our bags and room keys. Oh well.. It was worth it as I was showered, laundered and fed by the time some of the other riders finished.

Today's ride took us up and over the hills into Utah. There were many sections where the road was completely straight. I think that we went 25 miles in a straight line with only one slight bend to the left. Crossing into Utah, I could see the mountainous backdrop but they never seemed to get any closer. It took about an hour to actually get to them.

We suffered an attack from some of the locals. For a couple of miles, we were bombarded by grasshoppers that apparently had a death wish. I half expected to find dozens of them stuck inside my helmet when I took it off.

The only other excitement for today was the trip to dinner. The hotel is about 2 miles south of downtown. Before I started this trip, I thought I would be up for extra sight seeing and walking around after each ride. What has transpired is that as soon as I get off the bike, I just want to shower, clean up my bike, wash my bike clothes and eat somewhere close. So, tonight's dinner was at the local greasy diner. Spanish omelette and hash browns.. Yum.

Next time I have a mellow day, I'll write up what my typical day looks like. Believe me, apart from the cycling, it really isn't all that exciting :)

Tomorrow has some climbing as we head up out of the Salt Lake basin and move into Wyoming. Oh yeah, pictures are here.

2 comments:

  1. you are doing great. and i love the way you've broken out your flickr site, very organized!

    ps i waved to you when i flew over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, do your posts bring back memories! I my PACTour ride, we would get into a town and immediately eat our "first" dinner, an informal fast food purchase, a burger or chicken fillet. That would get us through showering and bike work. Real dinner followed, usually at a buffet place.

    Keep in mind the idea of taking a day off to sag and rest. It will do wonders for your physical and mental well being, even if it isn't the macho thing to do. Being cranky is the queue.

    Keep safe and enjoy! Looking forward to more posts. Kirk

    ReplyDelete