Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 12 - Glenwood Springs to Buena Vista


There was only one climb today. Well, to be exact, we climbed for 62 miles and descended to 43.

The group started out nice and easy on the 40 mile old railway line bike path to Aspen. We all felt a bit tired and when we got to Aspen realized that we'd actually climbed 2000 feet. Instead of going to the normal PAC Tour rest stop, we hung out in down town Aspen and had some coffee and pastries. If you've never been, it's definitely a lot more pretentious than any other Colorado town. We spied 2 fur coat shops and many designer places too. I'm sure there were plenty of famous people floating around but I didn't recognise anyone.

Feeling super caffeinated, we started the 20 mile climb (varying from 6 - 8%) up to Independence Pass. About 25 seconds into the ascent, I stopped to use my inhaler. Last time I checked, it wasn't on the banned substances list so I knew I wasn't going to get disqualified from the 'race'. About a third of the way up the hill, I started to overheat. I did the smart thing and stopped, got off my bike, took off my socks and shoes and went for a wee paddle in the river. The water was freezing but it was a welcome change...

Back on the bike and I ran into our lunch stop which had been moved from the top to about half way up the hill. Not being very smart, I opted for a hot dog and some chocolate cake for dessert. I did impress myself by not losing it on the rest of the way up.

The climb really was amazingly pretty. We started off going through the aspen groves and then as we climbed up higher, there were pine trees with the river flowing next to us. After that, we went above the timberline and on up to the top. At the summit, I bumped into a bunch of overweight Harley motorbike folks and I told them that they should have ridden real bikes up the pass so they could have worked off their lunch. Good job thew were friendly or I might have had to make an attempt on the world land speed record going down the other side. They did get payback though as they took a picture of Ann and I by the summit sign. The way the lady took the photo makes it look like the sign says elevation 12 feet. Doh!

There's not much I need to say about the descent. Plenty of switchbacks, super fast. it felt like I was in the Tour de France... Actually, apart from a couple of small rollers, it was almost downhill the whole way to Buena Vista.

We got to Buena Vista and to be honest, it looked like a bit of a crap hole... Super 8 motel. We went to dinner at the crappy Chinese restaurant and had the blandest Sweet and Sour chicken ever. After a quick trip to the crappy super market to get a Cadbury's Dairy Milk fix we set off in search of the 'real' downtown instead of strip mall hell. Low and behold, Buena Vista really is pretty cool. Some old buildings, a Thai restaurant (my eyes started to tear up at this point) and several coffee shops... If only we'd known earlier... Walked over to the downtown museum which had a deer silhouette as the weather vane and then... we found a couple of deer bucks hanging out in the grass by the building. Smart guys. I bet there must have a no hunting law within the city limits.

Pictures are here.

Tommorow we head further south east in Colorado to Walsenburg. I plan to do some googling before heading out to dinner to the closest restaurant.

PS. I forgot to say that I am super tired these days. Not just from all the cycling but also because I don't seem to be getting enough sleep... even though I get to bed at 9pm. I was so tempted to lay down by the side of the road this afternoon for a power nap. 12 days down and 18 to go. Ugh. Please send good coffee beans. Stumptown preferrably.

3 comments:

  1. Doug,
    Thanks for your entertaining posts and pics. It looks like your having a great time on a beautiful route. I hope you catch some of those tailwinds. :-)
    Gene H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you're" not "your"
    ...blush...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doug,
    the scenery looks amazing - you climbed to the top of the world. Can't believe you did not meet someone famous in Aspen - it is teeming with celebs - or so I am told.
    Hope you get your beauty sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete