Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 15 - Clayton to Amarillo, TX



Sometimes you just need a wee big of distance to get a proper perspective. Today's 140 mile slog across the Texas Panhandle was possibly the worst day I have ever had on my bike. In the morning, the road was long, flat and boring. I was riding on my own and had no bike trip computer or ipod for company. Time just seemed to stop dead. In the afternoon, I got to ride with some of the group but the temperature soared way too high for this Northern European. I tried putting a pound of ice under my helmet to help cool off. Apart from looking like Stan Laurel, it did work for me.

Today started off in a bad way. 9 miles out of Clayton and we crossed into Texas and into the Central timezone. About 2 miles after that, we had the first big downer of the day. A poor deer had been struck by a car in the fast lane and looked like it had lost at least one of it's hind legs. The saddest part was that it was still alive and was lying in the lane. Where's a Texan with a gun when you need them?

The rest of the day was fairly non descript. I did see a live snake on the road at one point and one of the guys said it was a rattler. I wasn't going back to check.

The only other 'exciting' thing today was when some ***hole decided to run us off the road with his big horse trailer as we were taking up too much room. It was pretty ironic as we were on the right hand side of the white snow line and he was the one with about 10 cars stuck behind him. Oh well, nobody got hurt.

Rolling into the finish tonight and we were all knackered. Close to 9 hours riding time. Did I mention the headwinds all day and the 2500 feet of climbing in the last 30 miles...

That's when the day took a turn for the better. We are staying at the Big Texan motel next to the Big Texan Steakhouse ranch. Home of the 72oz steak. We were greeted by one of their employees with 50 free beers for us.

After showering and doing the laundry, we all went over to the steakhouse for dinner. Just in time to watch some guy's attempt at eating the 72oz steak. If you eat it (plus the baked potato and all the other sides) in an hour, you get it for free. Check out the pictures.

This is my second time here. Dave Mason and I dropped in in April 1995 on our way to Portland from Tallahassee. For the record, neither time did I or anyone I know attempt the meat eating feat.

Tomorrow is an 'easy' day. 7:30am breakfast. Yay! Only 93 miles and they are finally predicting no headwinds. We're off to Shamrock, TX while my friends Toni and Stephanie left Portland for Dublin, Ireland. I think they get a better deal.

I also get a new roommate tomorrow. Ann is leaving at the crack of dawn to go back to Portland for work. Young Greg (the cool 16 year old kid) moves in instead.

Ok, time for bed. I need to lie down to process all the ribs I ate tonight..

4 comments:

  1. Hi Douglas
    You're looking good.
    ...72oz steaks, bring on Desperate Dan, he's The Man!
    Keep going. Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I saw that you were riding through Amarillo and I thought - how horrible! I have eaten in that restaurant. LOL. I think that was 1994.

    Keep it up!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! I am at home in Dublin and the sun is actually shining! (in between the showers...). It's a far cry from cycling in 100 degrees across dusty Texas. I am reading Lance Armstrong's book though just to keep my feet wet.

    Excitement is building for the U2 shows this weekend. I'm hoping to get up the front on Saturday night. I thought Glasvegas were supporting and was thinking of you but alas it is Kaiser Chiefs and Republic of Loose (?).

    p.s. thanks for pulling the word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.S. Adios Ann! I'm sure the return trip will be a lot quicker and more comfortable. Hope the reintroduction to work is not too painful...

    ReplyDelete