Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 28 - Eufaula to Perry, GA


Today was a great day. Partly because Melissa got back on her bike. After 3 enforced rest days because of a potential broken hip, she decided that it was only bruised and got back on her bike and rode the last 2/3's of today's ride. Talk about true grit.

This was also the first day in about 5 that we have had no rain. We had plenty of gray rainy type clouds in the morning but, the rain gods smiled on us for once. I'm happy as this means I get the chance to air out my bike shoes finally. They stink like a wet labrador.

Just after breakfast, we crossed into Georgia. On one side of the road we all took our customary state sign pictures. Then we all crossed back over to take pictures of the Alabama sign as there wasn't one when we entered the state.

The first thirty miles were anything but flat. Plenty of roller coaster hills to keep it "exciting". Yeah, it is exciting to go from 50 mph to 5mph in the space of a heartbeat...

Lunch was at the Civil War site in Andersonville, GA. This was a Confederate POW camp for their Northern foes. Over the life of the war, 13000 inmates died. If you get the chance to go, it is pretty impressive. The museum has great displays about American POW's throughout history from the war of Independence all the way up to Iraq. For a history buff like me, I was in hog heaven.

What a nice segue. Last night before dinner, I walked over to Piggly Wiggly ( a southern grocery store). Highly illuminating. I bet you can't get pickled pigs feet in New Seasons in Portland?

We had a couple of comedy moments today. John Lloyd must have been asleep on his bike for a while as he managed to miss the Andersonville prison national memorial and ended up trying to get lunch at the Macon state penitentiary instead. I think he noticed his mistake when he saw that there wasn't a picnic area next to the visitors center.

Later on in the day, as we are heading towards the hotel, a big dog decided to chase us down. Eleonore, who a lovely mild mannered lady from Toronto and probably weighs no more than 100 pounds soaking wet had the best put down for the dog. She said, and I quote: "Go home, you wretched animal". I bet the dog has low self esteem now. Personally, I had a hard time not falling off my bike laughing.

2 days to go now. I'm exited about coming home to get some real coffee but sad about leaving some good friends... and having to come back to reality. Oh well, I'm sure it will all work out well.

70% chance of rain tomorrow :(

Pictures are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment